From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Portage Language
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 00:05:41
1 On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 16:17, Thomas L. Bevan wrote:
2 > I did a little bit of background reading on the new portage development.
3 > I was wondering whether the debate over the new implementation language has
4 > been settled.
5
6 There really isn't a debate; an initial exploratory prototype is being
7 written in prolog, after which a set of requirements and design goals
8 will be written up, and will be used to select the language(s) that will
9 be used for the implementation.
10
11 Our exploratory prototype is being used to see what is possible, and
12 will help us to develop our vision for the next portage.
13
14 > If not, I'd like to suggest 'Haskell' a lazy functional language with a good
15 > FFI.
16
17 OK, it will be one of the languages we will look at.
18
19 Regards,
20
21 Daniel