From: Jason Mobarak <jmob@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Portage Language
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 08:21:23
1 On 17:06 Thu 27 Nov , Daniel Robbins wrote:
2
3 [...]
4 > There really isn't a debate; an initial exploratory prototype is being
5 > written in prolog, after which a set of requirements and design goals
6 > will be written up, and will be used to select the language(s) that will
7 > be used for the implementation.
8 >
9 > Our exploratory prototype is being used to see what is possible, and
10 > will help us to develop our vision for the next portage.
11 >
12 > > If not, I'd like to suggest 'Haskell' a lazy functional language with a good
13 > > FFI.
14
15 My opinion: Python.
16
17 Arguments for Python
18 --------------------
19
20 Python is a language with a huge user base, standard library and large number of
21 third party libraries.
22
23 Developer friendly, we have a lot of user submitted patches to portage. Chances
24 are more people are going to know languages like Python/Perl/Ruby rather than
25 something else (like Scheme/Haskell).
26
27 We already have a several developers who are well versed with Python. Python's
28 design potential and scalability is quite large... consider projects like Zope
29 and Twisted.
30
31 We already have a lot of portage code that's already written, it's tested and it
32 works, reordering and redesigned it is going to help portage-ng come about
33 quicker.
36 Arguments against other languages
37 ---------------------------------
38
39 Less user base than Python. While Ruby's user base is growing it still isn't
40 *that* large. Haskell I don't know a lot about -- but searching for projects on
41 sf.net or freashmeat.net was less than promising. I can say with relative
42 certainty that users are going to be more motivated to write patches if portage-ng
43 is written in a popular language.
44
45 Most developers (including me) would have to study another language. I know how
46 use Ruby and Scheme, and had a brief stint Haskell. Looking through portage I
47 see a lot of things that an experienced Python programmer might recognise as bad
48 style, or design patterns that don't reflect the optimum design potential of the
49 language -- more common I see things that are "python specific mistakes" that
50 are a result of not being completely versed with language's standard library. The
51 only reason I see these things is because I've used python so much and studied
52 it at great length (2-3 years utilising Python). So the case is, if we don't
53 have developers that already know the language we are going to use well then we
54 are going to need to spend extra time learning the language well before we even
55 spend time trying to actually write and production code -- alternately, we
56 should find new developers that know the language.
57
58 Consider the example of an employer, most employers want people that already
59 have experience in the language they are going to be using. Some employers will
60 train -- but it seems much more logical to just higher the people that already
61 know the language.
64 Arguments for prolog
65 --------------------
66
67 In my ideal world Prolog would be used to write the dependency resolver (one of
68 them) and the core would be written in Python or possibly a very small core
69 written in C but designed to be easily extensible with Python.
70
71 ====================
72
73 Also, I'm listed on the portage-ng developer list, but I don't have any idea
74 what's going on with the development, all I've heard is a little bit about
75 what's happening with the other developers (I know there's someone working on
76 dependency algorithms with prolog). What are the plans for coordinating the
77 portage-ng project? Who's working on what, are they keeping documentation on
78 what they are doing?
79
80 Also, I'm working on separating portage into packages, I feel a bit disconnected
81 from other developers and I'm not sure if I should just scrap what I'm doing and
82 wait for portage-ng development to get under way.
83
84 So, please, advice, comments, direction. :-)
89 ----------Jason-A-Mobarak-~
90 -aether-at-gentoo-dot-org-~
95 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list