From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Portage Language
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:51:23
1 On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 01:17, Jason Mobarak wrote:
2 > My opinion: Python.
3
4 First: you live in Albuquerque? :)
5
6 > Arguments for Python
7 > --------------------
8
9 One of the things we are trying to do this time around is to have a very
10 professional, well-managed development process. That process involves
11 writing up (excuse the "*"'s) *requirements* before selecting an
12 implementation language. That is, we need to decide what our goals are
13 before we determine the best way to reach those goals. The prolog
14 prototype is meant to just explore possibilities... the portage-ng code
15 itself will not come from this prototype.
16
17 This also means that there has been a shift in our approach, after I got
18 some feedback from nerdboy. We're going with a requirements-first
19 approach for development.
20
21 > Also, I'm working on separating portage into packages, I feel a bit disconnected
22 > from other developers and I'm not sure if I should just scrap what I'm doing and
23 > wait for portage-ng development to get under way.
24
25 What is the portage-ng list? I don't think I'm on it.
26
27 The best thing to do right now is to assist in the effort described on
28 the portage project page:
29
30 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/
31
32 Specifically, the:
33
34 "24 Dec 2003
35 portage-ng:
36 public initial comprehensive requirements and design goals document"
37
38 There is no community work happening yet because there have been no
39 efforts from the managers to foster community development, so I'm
40 jumping in to get things started.
41
42 What we need to do is figure out what the requirements of the system
43 should be. I'll post my initial list to this list and hopefully show you
44 what I'm looking for, and allow you to get the ball rolling.
45
46 > So, please, advice, comments, direction. :-)
47
48 Hopefully this'll help :)
49
50 Regards,