From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Conary
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:32:04
1 > In short, the only way to guarantee that this doesn't happen is to have a
2 > central tree that has a minimum quality level.
3 >
4 > Paul
7 Ofcourse every Gentoo package would depend on
8 <http://packages.gentoo.org/...> packages. Howerver I thought this
9 thread was about "loose collaboration across the Internet" between
10 "distributed and loosely connected
11 repositories".
12
13 Lets say I define <http://www.example.com/virtual/x11> to be a list of
14 packages that I think is compatible with X11 dependent pacakges.
15 If a maintainer wants to use my list as a dependency he is also
16 responsible for any bugs resulting from that statement. He could also
17 state, say <http://packages.gentoo.org/x11-base/xorg-x11?ipv6#6.8.1> if
18 that is the onlything that works.
19
20 Thus I could "emerge http://www.example.com/pkgs/mod_php?
21 mysql&mysqli#5.0" and no PRTAGE_OVERLAY would be needed, and it could
22 even depend on http://www.mysql.com/unstable/mysql and no gentoo
23 specificas has yet been involved...
24
25 -John