From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Conary
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:32:43
1 On Friday 22 October 2004 15:11, John Nilsson wrote:
2 > Why not express the dependency as an RDF graph? A dependency statement
3 > would be a complete uri. This would also remove the need to maintain a
4 > single package namespace.
5
6 The problem is absolutely not with the namespace. There are 2 ways of
7 namespaces, one is where every party uses it's own namespace, so
8 excluding overlaps, but also taking away the advantages of other people's
9 work. AND this will highly likely lead to overlapping files as there is
10 overlap in the upstream packages.
11
12 The other way is where the namespaces are looser. In this case one package
13 has one namespace. This however does not work either, because it moves
14 the problem to inside the package, where your package A does not work
15 with my dependant package C, because your package A is different than my
16 package B, while A and B are supposed to be the same package.
17
18 In short, the only way to guarantee that this doesn't happen is to have a
19 central tree that has a minimum quality level.
20
21 Paul
24 Paul de Vrieze
25 Gentoo Developer