From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Slot selection mechanism?
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 09:35:09
1 On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 02:19:14AM +0100, Daniel Drake wrote:
2 > The problem is that a 2.4 user would see 2.6 as a package update, even
3 > though they might really want to stick to 2.4. We could get around this by
4 > having say 2.4 as stable, 2.6 as ~arch, but that makes it not possible to
5 > release "testing" releases for kernels.
6
7 If you add >=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6 to your package.mask file all
8 this is covered afaik. I don't think it's too difficult to have this set in
9 a cascading profile.
10
11 A note on selecting profiles during the installation is hardly an issue.
12
13 Wkr,
14 Sven Vermeulen
17 Documentation & PR project leader