From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] LTS branch of Portage
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 14:15:33
1 On Tue, 2021-10-05 at 10:31 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi, everyone.
3 >
4 > I've been thinking about this for some time already, and the recent
5 > FILESDIR mess seems to confirm it: I'd like to start a more stable LTS
6 > branch of Portage.
9 I think this is healthy for most software projects, but two things
10 stand out to me for portage specifically:
11
12 1. Most portage users can fake this already by telling portage to
13 accept only stable keywords for sys-apps/portage. I know it's not
14 exactly the same, but it provides many of the same benefits.
15
16 2. What happens to the LTS branch when the next EAPI is released?