From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] LTS branch of Portage
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 15:13:46
1 On Tue, 2021-10-05 at 10:15 -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2021-10-05 at 10:31 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Hi, everyone.
4 > >
5 > > I've been thinking about this for some time already, and the recent
6 > > FILESDIR mess seems to confirm it: I'd like to start a more stable LTS
7 > > branch of Portage.
10 > I think this is healthy for most software projects, but two things
11 > stand out to me for portage specifically:
12 >
13 > 1. Most portage users can fake this already by telling portage to
14 > accept only stable keywords for sys-apps/portage. I know it's not
15 > exactly the same, but it provides many of the same benefits.
16
17 That's not going to be possible long-term when I start making more
18 changes ;-).
19
20 > 2. What happens to the LTS branch when the next EAPI is released?
23 I haven't really thought about it. Are you suggesting that we could
24 bump 'master' Portage to newer EAPI earlier or...?
27 Best regards,
28 Michał Górny