From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Portage on AIX
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 18:42:07
1 On 24-11-2010 12:29:41 -0600, Perry Smith wrote:
2 >
3 > On Nov 24, 2010, at 12:22 PM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
4 >
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > On 24-11-2010 12:17:12 -0600, Perry Smith wrote:
8 > >> I don't use Gentoo but I bumped into Portage on a recent quest. Long story short, I'd like to try and port it to AIX. I'm writing this list to see if you think that is possible or not.
9 > >
10 > > We use Portage Prefix on AIX, so I think we can say it works. Do you
11 > > really need Portage (the package manager) or the entire set of
12 > > applications provided by it?
13 >
14 > I'm assuming the latter does not exist. I've love to just say "install ruby" right now and have it work but that isn't what I'm expecting. I'm hoping, over time, to provide some of those packages over time. I hope I'm making sense here...
15
16 Gentoo Prefix[1] on AIX is sort of that. Not sure if ruby is "ported"
17 yet, but at least the base system (the core you need to get Portage
18 sanely running, and being able to emerge other stuff + a handful of
19 indispensible tools) compiles. You'll find people on the gentoo-alt
20 list[2] that maintain the AIX port.
21
22 [1] http://prefix.gentoo.org/
23 [2] http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-alt/