From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] LTS branch of Portage
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 09:25:04
1 > On 19 Oct 2021, at 00:24, Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Sorry but portage is too strictly related to the ebuilds in tree, recent removal of EAPI=5 from most eclasses underlined that.
4 > Or to put id differently if you want a LTS portage you also need a certain number of "protected" eclasses and ebuilds
5 > It seems a lot of (very appreciated but don't count on me) work
6
7 FWIW, I don't think it'd be a big deal to just agree that we wouldn't rip out old EAPI support from eclasses
8 and also slow down with adopting new EAPIs for ebuilds (which there's vague consensus about wrt EAPI 8
9 being done a bit too quickly anyway).
10
11 i.e. I don't think this is really a blocker.
12
13 Best,
14 sam