From: Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] LTS branch of Portage
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 23:25:03
1 Il giorno mar 5 ott 2021 alle ore 10:31 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> ha
2 scritto:
3
4 > Hi, everyone.
5 >
6 > I've been thinking about this for some time already, and the recent
7 > FILESDIR mess seems to confirm it: I'd like to start a more stable LTS
8 > branch of Portage.
9 >
10 > Roughly, the idea is that:
11 >
12 > - master becomes 3.1.x, and primary development happens there
13 >
14 > - 3.0.x becomes the LTS branch and only major bugfixes are backported
15 > there
16 >
17 > As things settle down in the future, master would become 3.2.x, 3.1.x
18 > would become LTS, 3.0.x will be discontinued and so on.
19 >
20 > WDYT?
23 Sorry but portage is too strictly related to the ebuilds in tree, recent
24 removal of EAPI=5 from most eclasses underlined that.
25 Or to put id differently if you want a LTS portage you also need a certain
26 number of "protected" eclasses and ebuilds
27 It seems a lot of (very appreciated but don't count on me) work
32 > --
33 > Best regards,
34 > Michał Górny