From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] LTS branch of Portage
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 23:43:59
1 On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 4:25 PM Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > Il giorno mar 5 ott 2021 alle ore 10:31 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> ha scritto:
5 >>
6 >> Hi, everyone.
7 >>
8 >> I've been thinking about this for some time already, and the recent
9 >> FILESDIR mess seems to confirm it: I'd like to start a more stable LTS
10 >> branch of Portage.
11 >>
12 >> Roughly, the idea is that:
13 >>
14 >> - master becomes 3.1.x, and primary development happens there
15 >>
16 >> - 3.0.x becomes the LTS branch and only major bugfixes are backported
17 >> there
18 >>
19 >> As things settle down in the future, master would become 3.2.x, 3.1.x
20 >> would become LTS, 3.0.x will be discontinued and so on.
21 >>
22 >> WDYT?
25 > Sorry but portage is too strictly related to the ebuilds in tree, recent removal of EAPI=5 from most eclasses underlined that.
26 > Or to put id differently if you want a LTS portage you also need a certain number of "protected" eclasses and ebuilds
27 > It seems a lot of (very appreciated but don't count on me) work
28
29 I think this is backwards a bit. The idea is to backport things from
30 the main (development) branch to the LTS branch such that the tree
31 continues to work for both; no?
32
33 This seems mostly related to "what is a bugfix and will be backported
34 into LTS" and "what is a feature and is not backportable for LTS" in
35 terms of what the tree will rely on.
36
37 -A
43 >> --