From: Vardhan Varma <vardhanvarma@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] user-mode-portage
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 12:21:03
1 Hello all,
2
3 I couldn't find archive of this list, and so don't know if this has
4 been raised or not.
5
6 What i want to propose is a modification to portage, such that it
7 can be run by a non-root user. There are plenty of users ( in
8 corporate and educational e.g. ) who don't control the system
9 they run. Imagine not possible to upgrade the work machine from RH 7.2 !!
12 The idea is to have a 'almost-gentoo' residing in ~/gentoo. It's
13 'almost', since all the sys-TOOLS won't be usable ( kernel, deamons
14 etc. ). Also the compilers etc. can be picked from host, or from
15 gentoo--subsystem.
18 Well, I got the portage-2.0.51_pre17 tarkit, installed Python2.3,
19 and tried. By the end of day, I'm able to emerge patch and
20 ncurses. I'm stuck in libtool problem, which I'll see tomorrow.
23 >From this thread, I want to know if this team believes a user-mode
24 portage is helpful to gentoo ?
25
26 Also, where is the anon repository for potrage ? the projects page
27 mentions viewcvs, but not the anon.
30 --TIA,
31 -Vardhan
34 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list