From: Brian <dol-sen@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] User created package lists
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:05:56
1 On Tue, 2006-21-03 at 16:44 +0200, tvali wrote:
2 > I am not sure if i can understand exactly, what you are speaking here.
5 Say an admin has a server setup and wants an easy way to monitor a
6 certain group of packages for updates so he/she can choose to ignore or
7 update.
8
9 my list = [apache, mod_1, mod_2, mysql, webapp1, webapp2,...]
10
11 having them grouped into one list and doing an:
12
13 # emerge -up --list mylist
14
15 would indicate easily if any packages in the special list are upgradable
16 irregardless of whether it is in world, system, whatever.
19 > This will be somewhat half-thought idea here, but..
20 >
21 > As much as i have got, system contains packages nessecary for me and
22 > world is all what i have emerged? And system comes basically from
23 > profile?
24 >
25 > For me as an user, there is no differences between "system", "world"
26 > and "kde-meta" (syntactically), except that world will contain
27 > kde-meta after i have emerged it and system will contain packages from
28 > my selected profile.
31 > Now, wouldnt it be good if they were exactly the same thing on system
32 > level, and all configureable?
33 >
34 > Lets imagine configuration file with the following syntax:
35 > # System points to x86
36 > System=>System x86 2.6
37 > # World is included from another file
38 > @world.list
39 > [system]
40 > #system contains an additional package "moo"
41 > ++moo
42 > [world]
43 > #world.list file may contain "moo", but not world
44 > --moo
45 > [kde-meta]
46 > ++kicker
47 >
48 > Those files could be called patches and optionally contain includes
49 > from random servers.
52 too early in the morning to follow that.
57 Brian <dol-sen@×××××.net>
60 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list