From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Portage questions
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 16:47:10
1 On 09/16/2015 06:13 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
2 > 1)
3 > Is there a way to generate a snapshot of an installed portage VDB and then later
4 > compare that snapshot against the current VDB and generate a list of
5 > added/updated packages?
6
7 This command will generate a flat file that is useful for comparisons
8 with diff -u:
9
10 qlist -IvCURS | LC_ALL=C sort
11
12 > 2)
13 > Currently we generate a tar file with binary pkgs containing all updated pkgs,
14 > unpack the tar file and emerge the binary pkgs with emerge --usepkgonly ...
15 > into a new ROOT. This works but that misses any updates to the profile(both gentoo and our own).
16 >
17 > To fix that we include a copy of both profiles in the tar file and copy our
18 > updated profiles into the new ROOT profiles before merging. This feels a bit
19 > clumsy and I wonder if there is a better way?
20 >
21 > Jocke
24 Like Duncan said, I feel like we're missing some context here. I wonder
25 why you use binary packages instead of a full system image, considering
26 that it's a "new ROOT."
27 --
28 Thanks,
29 Zac