From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: generating ._cfg0000_foo multiple times between --sync
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:51:39
1 Michiel de Bruijne posted <200604151557.25593.m.debruijne@×××××××.nl>,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 15 Apr 2006 15:57:24 +0200:
3
4 > I remember vaguely that there is a setting to enable generation of
5 > ._cfg0000_foo files always, however I have searched on my system, forums
6 > and google, but I'm unable to find it. If actually this setting exists you
7 > might want to enable it by default, but definitely document it better.
8
9 man emerge, search on --noconfmem, or emerge --help. Both the usual
10 places one looks for documentation on command line options for a Unix
11 command cover it. That seems decent documentation to me, as I didn't
12 remember what the option was either as I've never needed to use it, but I
13 found it relatively quickly when I needed to, and had looked over the
14 manpage before when learning about emerge and portage, so was aware the
15 command existed if needed.
16
17 While making this a feature so the user can change the default might be
18 debatable, the stated purpose and default seem sensible to me.
19
20 Meanwhile, if you want that for your default, it's simple enough to do
21 with a shell alias, or using the new EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS var in make.conf.
26 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
27 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
31 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list