From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] emaint and handling of user editable files
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:39:12
1 Christian Hoenig wrote:
2 > On the other hand it would be very nice to allow comments in the world file,
3 > too, as I very often don't remember why I installed a package (a lib which
4 > for example was just a dependency for lokaly installed stuff).
5 > As I'm writing this I get the idea, that this probalby should not be part of
6 > the world file but of portage itself with a --comment TEXT parameter :-).
7
8 That sounds awkward. Why introduce a new option to portage if you could just
9 fire up your preferred text editor and create a whyiinstalledthisstuff file?
10 Really, this is not the purpose of a package manager IMO.
11
12 > So, finally, how should emaint --fix deal with comments in files?
13 > (a) Only give a recommendation what / how to fix?
14 > (b) Fix if there are no comments contained, otherwise only do (a)?
15 (c) make emaint --fix comment the lines out instead of removing them entirely.
16 That way, you could just ignore comments and it would be a lot safer too.. I
17 simply don't like the idea very much of having a tool removing lines from my
18 config files. You could use ## or #@ (or whatever) to comment the lines out,
19 which should be easy to recognize for the user. It would take a few seconds to
20 cut the lines starting with said prefix out of the file, and the user could
21 remove old comments in the same go.
22
23 Regards,
26 Simon Stelling