From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] making the tree depend on portage
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 16:09:10
1 On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:53:29 +0900
2 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wednesday 21 December 2005 01:57, Marius Mauch wrote:
5 > > Jason Stubbs wrote:
6 > > > Reasoning on checking all system atoms is that other groups are
7 > > > just as likely to need the functionality as we are. Combining
8 > > > that with how rarely versions are actually updated for system
9 > > > packages, it shouldn't cause any more bother to users than it
10 > > > needs to.
11 > >
12 > > Well, that approach has one major problem: it won't help for profile
13 > > changes (like the mess with the cascaded profiles).
14 >
15 > Making the tree DEPEND on a specific portage version won't help
16 > either. If the user doesn't have a profile, they have no ARCH or
17 > other important things which means they can't use emerge.
18
19 There can be other potential changes that will not break portage
20 completely.
21
22 > > Also I don't see what "system" has to do with handling the tree
23 > > itself, and for anything else people can add dependencies, or am I
24 > > missing something here?
25 >
26 > Doing it via system is more generic with no loss in functionality
27 > that I can see. As I said above, the only time that not doing it in
28 > system would be useful is if system itself is not available but
29 > profile problems imply that one can't emerge anyway.
30
31 It has other drawbacks though. First "system" is arbitrary, imagine a
32 "nterprise desktop" profile or so where sytem includes gnome/kde.
33 The main issue I have with it though is that it spreads the focus too
34 much, your example had what, 20 packages? What I'm after is a
35 information when we *know* that the tree won't work anymore, not a "it
36 may be better to upgrade".
37
38 Did I mention that I don't really like this idea in the first place?
39
40 Marius
45 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
46 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.