From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] .53, .54 and beyond...
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 23:54:30
1 On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 18:48:41 -0500 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
2 | What the hell are you talking about? No tools have even been
3 | created yet. Nobody builds tools before the framework is in place. The
4 | ability to make use of RRDEPEND as I've pointed out by verify-rdepend
5 | and revdep-rebuild could be pretty much immediate. The ability to
6 | control what level of depends a user wants in his/her depgraph is up
7 | to the user. The way I envision it you could just as easliy do
8 | ROOT=/dev/shm/minimal emerge -KO --deps="RDEPEND:DEPEND:PDEPEND"
9 | pkgfoo To yield the same results as portage by default. In general
10 | I'd suggest that you not attempt to make use of features that don't
11 | suit your needs.
12
13 Why introduce a feature which is crippled? It would be almost as easy to
14 allow ebuilds to mess with their 'real' runtime dependency value as
15 appropriate rather than forcing an incorrect auto-generated list onto
16 everyone.
19 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Supreme Lord Gerbil Wrangler)
20 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
21 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm