From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Improved user information and communication
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:55:45
1 Daniel Stiefelmaier wrote:
2 > A new tool, lets say einfo, that prints info from metadata.xml. The link
3 > could be read from metadata.xml or, if desired, generated automatiacally
4 > in the form "http://gentoo-wiki.com/Ebuild:www-client/mozilla-firefox"
5
6 Why do you need a new funky tool called einfo when 'cat' already exists? XML is
7 such a great format because it is readable for humans, not because it is just
8 sexy ;)
9
10 >> So... nail it down, instead of the vague "eix/emerge should do this".
13 > im getting vague because if i am precise, everybody just tells me that
14 > it will not work that way.
15
16 Sure, but some people here know much more than you and me about portage's
17 internals, and so they know whether something works or not, and what the
18 problems might be. Instead of feeling ignored you should probably try to
19 understand WHY people think it's not a good idea.
20
21 > i did not yet get constructive feedback and i don't know portage and its
22 > developers well enough to make a pleasing plan.
23
24 That's probably the biggest issue. You don't know portage well enough to make a
25 pleasing plan, but you ask people who didn't asked for your feature to make one.
26 I hope you got the 'free' in 'free software' the right way.
27
28 > To be honest i just discovered use.local.desc, i didn't know this
29 > already exists. (only use.desc) Sorry for my lack of knowledge.
30 > Constructive feedback would have been to tell me the information i want
31 > already exists. Nobody wondered, why i want to add information to
32 > ebuilds that already exists.
33
34 I hate to tell people, but I have to: please, RTFM. use.local.desc is mentioned
35 on line 60 of 'man portage' and it is explained briefly later on, additionally,
36 the handbook even shows a snipplet from use.desc in 'Working with Gentoo -> USE
37 flags', so one should think that users actually READ documentation carefully.
38 Documentation is there to be read and understood, not to be ignored.
39 At least I wondered why you wanted to add so much redundant data to the tree, as
40 it was absolutely evident to me that use.[local.]desc exists and that you know
41 of it too.
42
43 > Well, that's fine. :)
44 > Just that some flags could be explained more comprehensive, not only
45 > telling the obvious.
46
47 That's surely something that could be improved, but you have to explain which
48 descriptions you find not helpful. A list would be very useful.
49
50 > Now i understand Jason and agree, that missused global flags should be
51 > renamed. (but still believe there is a small chance they will)
52
53 File a bug for every package, wait some time, and if the maintainer refuses and
54 you still think the use flags violate the policy, involve QA.
55
56 > all the responses i got were so declining that i thought
57 > "even if you would code it, we will never include it, even if you'll
58 > edit all the 10k metadata.xml files, we just don't WANT it, it's useless
59 > for us and everybody else"
60 > wrong conclusion?
61
62 wrong.