From: Daniel Stiefelmaier <mail@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Improved user information and communication
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:55:44
1 >Jamming a 'built-in list of use flags' into ebuilds/metadata.xml first
2 >of all is vague,
3 >
4 I tried to explain simon that i don't want to have the explanations
5 built into the emerge-programm, because i thought he understood me that way.
6
7 > second of all is going to jack up the tree's size,
10 i dont believe that as i'd guess only the most common ebuilds would have
11 it added in the near future. also it seems to me that the changelog
12 files take way the most place.
13 I already said, that it might be satisfying to only include a wiki-link.
14 A new tool, lets say einfo, that prints info from metadata.xml. The link
15 could be read from metadata.xml or, if desired, generated automatiacally
16 in the form "http://gentoo-wiki.com/Ebuild:www-client/mozilla-firefox"
17
18 >third of all will lead to a buttload of redundant information across
19 >the tree.
22 global use flag definitions could still be used, but optionally
23 overwritten with local ones in the ebuilds.
24
25 >So... nail it down, instead of the vague "eix/emerge should do this".
28 im getting vague because if i am precise, everybody just tells me that
29 it will not work that way.
30 i did not yet get constructive feedback and i don't know portage and its
31 developers well enough to make a pleasing plan.
32
33 >If you're suggesting it read use.* info from profiles/use.*, state so.
36 To be honest i just discovered use.local.desc, i didn't know this
37 already exists. (only use.desc) Sorry for my lack of knowledge.
38 Constructive feedback would have been to tell me the information i want
39 already exists. Nobody wondered, why i want to add information to
40 ebuilds that already exists.
41
42 Well, that's fine. :)
43 Just that some flags could be explained more comprehensive, not only
44 telling the obvious.
45 Now i understand Jason and agree, that missused global flags should be
46 renamed. (but still believe there is a small chance they will)
47
48 >Use ufed, is my opinion on this, or write a tool/extension of existing
49 >tools.
52 Now that i know that all the needed metadata already exists, i can :)
53
54 >You've got the unix principle slightly wrong there- implicit is that
55 >if no alternative exists, the person persuing the alternative
56 >*implements* it themselves rather then riding others to do it.
59 all the responses i got were so declining that i thought
60 "even if you would code it, we will never include it, even if you'll
61 edit all the 10k metadata.xml files, we just don't WANT it, it's useless
62 for us and everybody else"
63 wrong conclusion?
64
65 >You're not convincing anybody that *your* personal opinion of how it
66 >should be done is the correct way,
67 >
68 it wasn't on my mind to say *how* it should be done. but all replies
69 just were saying it should be done at all, it's useless, senseless, to
70 much work...
71
72 >that off if you're being agressive/insulting about it (I'll give you
73 >the benfit of the doubt and assume you're not intentionally trying to
74 >insult people).
77 Thanks. I'd say it was more of a desperate sigh. Sarcastic i have to
78 admit. ;)
79
80 >Additionally... you're proposing a retrofit of metadata into the entire
81 >tree, which is a *lot* of work (that's fact), leaving the question of
82 >what really is gained, if there was a better way, etc.
85 I expected to hear the better way from the experienced. Maybe you are
86 the one who finally pointed me to it, indirectly :)
87
88 greets,
89 Caliga
90 --