From: capitalista <capitalista@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Bugzilla Bug 112779: New and Improved Way to Handle /etc/portage
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:34:15
1 On 11/21/05, Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Does it often make sense to group a set of package.* files together? Can you provide one or more examples of how this is useful?
3
4 Sure, and I'll use KDE yet again for one example. In fact, this would
5 have come in handy recently. When the 3.5 betas/rc's started rolling
6 out, it would have been very useful to have a package.unmask that
7 unmasked them all (especially for the kde-meta users since there's
8 over 200 packages) along with a package.keywords file to use when the
9 devs didn't have it marked for x86 (or anything other than amd64 for
10 that matter). And, if whomever was grouping it felt like it, they
11 could include an optional package.use file to tune the ebuilds for
12 you.
13
14 With packages like xorg going modular on an official basis, the
15 ability to have everything ready to go just by unpacking a tarball
16 into /etc/portage/includes and emerging would save folks a lot of
17 work. Not to mention, it would make things nicer maintenance wise
18 obviously, as you could have /etc/portage/includes/xorg to house the
19 package.* files.
20
21 So, the main use would be for meta-packages that have a lot going on,
22 like KDE or the upcoming xorg 7.0. Package maintainers or even users
23 could make the tar.gz's easily available. This kind of grouping would
24 probably be even better for non-x86ers.
25
26 I would be surprised if the ability to group package.* files stayed
27 limited to modular pacakges, though. I could see people putting this
28 ability to use for packages of a certain type (like games or
29 multimedia packages) or in conjunction with an overlay like
30 breakmygentoo.
31
32 There's even the potential for people to group their own package.*
33 files that they use on their system and distribute them easily, with
34 other users not having to merge them with the current, singular
35 package.* files. If they don't like those changes, it's easy enough to
36 revert back to normal just by moving/removing that directory. Again,
37 this would be even nicer for folks on other architectures, where
38 keywording could play a large role.
39
40 And, aside from those examples, I think that many new possibilites
41 will come once it's made available for people to use. I could
42 definitely see people on the forums figuring out new uses for this.
45 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list