From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Environment Whitelisting
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:52:52
1 On Monday 22 August 2005 12:52, Drake Wyrm wrote:
2 > Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu> wrote:
3 > > Was talking with Brian about the build environment and how settings
4 > > were to be passed into the build environment.
5 > >
6 > > Essentially three scenarios were presented.
7 >
8 > Snip and summary:
9 >
10 > 1) Pass everything
11 >
12 > 2) Blacklist and strip bad stuff
13 >
14 > 3) Whitelist good stuff; strip everything else
15 >
16 > > To me 1) is unacceptable and 3) is the best option. Feel free to
17 > > shoot these down as you see fit ;)
18 >
19 > Option 4: Strip everything.
20 >
21 > Nothing is passed from the original environment; everything passed in the
22 > environment is considered to be a "portage variable". This, I suppose,
23 > is an extreme case of the whitelist.
24
25 Well, I'll go against the flow. ;)
26
27 My preference would go 4, 3, 2 then 1. While Makefiles and configure scripts
28 may be "broken" upstream, how long is it before the breakage goes
29 unnoticed? More importantly, what's the chances of a dev finding the
30 breakage before users? Cleansing the environment to me is akin to using
31 sandbox. It offers protection against misbehaving packages...
34 Jason Stubbs