From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC/PATCH] repoman: unroll escaped lines so we can check the entirety of it
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 12:22:41
1 On 24 May 2012 16:06, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > Sometimes people wrap long lines in their ebuilds to make it easier to
3 > read, but this causes us issues when doing line-by-line checking.  So
4 > automatically unroll those lines before passing the full content down
5 > to our checkers.
9 This may be a result of the default vim settings that get enabled if
10 you're editing an ebuild.
11
12 If you don't manually wrap the lines, vim will do it for you, because
13 the ebuild profile for vim ( app-vim/gentoo-syntax ,
14 /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/ftplugin/ebuild.vim ) sets textwidth=80
15
16 This in my personal experience is unhelpful, and every time the text
17 wrap fires it risks producing broken code, and I've resorted to
18 manually wrapping things with the proper escapes just to avoid being
19 attacked by the wrap.
20
21 ( I had assumed that the forced 80 char text width was something that
22 was enforced by policy and wasn't game to try bucking the curve )
23
24 If there is no such policy, and a forced text-wrap at 80 characters is
25 not needed, I would love for that setting to be removed.
30 Kent
31
32 perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,
33 3 ) for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );"