From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] About "system" and "world"
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 12:35:18
1 On Sun, 2007-10-21 at 13:01 +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > So, what do people think about removing (some) of the special treatment
3 > for the "system" and "world" targets?
4 > Mainly I'm interested in removing the "selective" parameter that's
5 > currently enabled for them (so for example without that parameter
6 > `emerge world` would default to remerging packages, unless --update or
7 > --noreplace are specified). That change has already been requested a
8 > few times in the past by users, but OTOH it could probably upset people
9 > who don't use --update with world/system.
10
11 What would such a disruptive change really gain us? I personally feel
12 our users need consistency from Gentoo. If they grew up doing
13 'emerge world' and have come to expect that behavior and all of the
14 sudden we change behavior on them.. Yeah I can see how ppl would get
15 upset. Perhaps a less intrusive way would be to introduce another flag
16 to get the specified behavior you are after.
19 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
22 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list