From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] About "system" and "world"
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 13:25:27
1 On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 05:23:45 -0700
2 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 2007-10-21 at 13:01 +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
5 > > So, what do people think about removing (some) of the special
6 > > treatment for the "system" and "world" targets?
7 > > Mainly I'm interested in removing the "selective" parameter that's
8 > > currently enabled for them (so for example without that parameter
9 > > `emerge world` would default to remerging packages, unless --update
10 > > or --noreplace are specified). That change has already been
11 > > requested a few times in the past by users, but OTOH it could
12 > > probably upset people who don't use --update with world/system.
13 >
14 > What would such a disruptive change really gain us?
15
16 The goal is to make package sets behave in a consistent way.
17
18 > I personally feel our users need consistency from Gentoo. If they
19 > grew up doing 'emerge world' and have come to expect that behavior
20 > and all of the sudden we change behavior on them.. Yeah I can see
21 > how ppl would get upset.
22
23 As do I, which is why I haven't simply changed it.
24
25 > Perhaps a less intrusive way would be to introduce another
26 > flag to get the specified behavior you are after.
27
28 Well, the primary goal is to make all sets behave in a consistent way.
29 And some sets have the explicit purpose to rebuild stuff, so making
30 sets "selective" by default also has issues.
31 The proposed change would also make sets behave in the same way as
32 packages which is IMO another benefit.
33 But as I said, I can see that it could upset people.
34
35 One possible solution that I've thought about would be to remove the
36 hardcoded "selective" parameter and let the set configuration determine
37 if a set is selective or not (with missing = "false"), and then enable
38 it for world and system in our default config, e.g.
39
40 [world]
41 class = portage.sets.files.WorldSet
42 selective = True
43
44 and extend the --rebuild option with new arguments "always" and "never".
45 Don't really like the additional complexity though (and I haven't
46 checked how much work it would be).
47
48 Marius
49 --