From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] About "system" and "world"
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:05:21
1 On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 15:12:31 +0200
2 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Well, the primary goal is to make all sets behave in a consistent way.
5 > And some sets have the explicit purpose to rebuild stuff, so making
6 > sets "selective" by default also has issues.
7 > The proposed change would also make sets behave in the same way as
8 > packages which is IMO another benefit.
9
10 This actually has more consequences: "selective" is a global setting,
11 you can't enable it just for some arguments. Therefore if packages and
12 sets are treated differently it requires that they can't be mixed on
13 the commandline (and if we'd make the setting configurable for each set
14 then only one set can be used at any time). And right now I can't think
15 of another reason why that restriction would be necessary.
16
17 Marius
22 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
23 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.