From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ed@×××××××××.uk
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] please explain use of hooks
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 01:27:59
1 On 3/1/08, Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@×××××××××.cc> wrote:
2 > Hello
3 >
4 > I was aware that the alternative package managers provide hooks for
5 > some time now, but only found out recently that portage also has this
6 > feature. Unfortunately I was not able to find any documentation about
7 > it. I found some information related to hooks in portage on this list
8 > and elsewhere but all of those sources assumed that the reader already
9 > knows the basics.
10 >
11 > So what I am looking for is a tutorial along the lines "howto write
12 > you first portage hook function". Of course a more in-depth
13 > description would also be welcome. If something like this already
14 > exists I apologize for not searching enough, and kindly ask you to
15 > point you to the location.
16 >
17 > The earlies post about hooks on this list seam to be from 2005, so I
18 > was a bit surprised I could not find any documentation about them. In
19 > my opinion this should be documented in the handbook. I can only
20 > assume that either no one found the time to write it or that hooks are
21 > intentionally not documented to prevent users from messing things up
22 > and then filling untraceable bug reports. So if later were the case I
23 > would still be very thankful if you could answer me in private, even
24 > though I think this should be documented in public.
25
26 Do not attribute to malice what can easily be attributed to laziness ;)
29 > --Jonas
30 >
31 > --
32 > gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o mailing list