From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Questions about CVS locations and GID...
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 01:18:05
1 On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 02:07:32AM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 20:01:34 -0500 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | What's being raised here is issues with making ebuilds handle prefix
5 > | _perfectly_. Where are the portage issues, so that people can
6 > | actually jump in and start testing out actual solutions, rather then
7 > | conjecturing about what may or may not break?
8 >
9 > The issue is that you need to fix autoconf before you can claim that
10 > any non-trivial test case works correctly.
11
12 And how are you going to verify autoconf works perfectly without
13 testing it?
14
15 The point I'm making is that the only thing required of *portage*, is
16 the prefix var being used internally, and handed down to the ebuilds.
17
18 Ironing out the ebuild cruft is left to those who want it. Again,
19 where is the hold up for *portage*?
20
21 You're not offering any good reasons why people can't jump in and
22 experiment with it despite the vaunted "plan it out first". Gurantee
23 attempting prefix offset, things will *always* be missed for handling
24 all issues if you're just planning it.
25
26 Basically, I'm not seeing what point you're making beyond the fact
27 there is work that's going to have to be done from the ebuild side of
28 things (work you won't be able to predict I'd posit).
29
30 Last time around, prefix was ixnayed due to the fact there was work.
31 People want it, and are willing to do the legwork.
32
33 What's the problem? Why the 101 holes before they even can attempt
34 it? If you're after shooting the idea down (as I suspect), state so
35 rather then death by a thousand cuts. Saves us time, really.
36
37 Hell, haubi's patch already lays the ground work for testing it. I'm
38 not seeing why you're being negative about people even working on it.
39 ~harring