From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Questions about CVS locations and GID...
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 01:23:58
1 On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 20:17:40 -0500 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | > The issue is that you need to fix autoconf before you can claim that
4 | > any non-trivial test case works correctly.
5 |
6 | And how are you going to verify autoconf works perfectly without
7 | testing it?
8
9 Can't. Dead easy to verify that it will break without testing it,
10 though. Just look at the source.
11
12 | The point I'm making is that the only thing required of *portage*, is
13 | the prefix var being used internally, and handed down to the ebuilds.
14 |
15 | Ironing out the ebuild cruft is left to those who want it. Again,
16 | where is the hold up for *portage*?
17
18 That's rather short-sighted... Portage is irrelevant without the
19 ebuilds.
20
21 | What's the problem? Why the 101 holes before they even can attempt
22 | it? If you're after shooting the idea down (as I suspect), state so
23 | rather then death by a thousand cuts. Saves us time, really.
24 |
25 | Hell, haubi's patch already lays the ground work for testing it. I'm
26 | not seeing why you're being negative about people even working on it.
27
28 Because a botched solution is worse than no solution at all. You've
29 seen the mess we end up with when people start working with a
30 half-arsed initial setup.
33 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
34 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
35 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm