From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] release versioning meaning
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 17:30:47
1 On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 02:29:14 -0600
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 11:54:11AM +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
5 > > On Sunday 06 November 2005 06:09, Brian Harring wrote:
6 > > > We've pretty much ignored the minor, and abused the micro for
7 > > > both bug fixing and feature inclusion. Thoughts on using micro
8 > > > for _strictly_ bug fixes, and macro for features?
9 > >
10 > > I suggested this before, but it didn't go down too well...
11 >
12 > Something I ixnayed/argued against? If so ignore me- I'm a dumb ass
13 > (this you should know already) ;-)
14 >
15 > As stated below, the dead 2.1 release screws with things a bit- which
16 > is about my only concern with fiddling with minor these days.
17 >
18 > > > Yes we'll run aground of the dead 2.1 release (not incredibly
19 > > > happy about that), but I'd like to see if we can get bug fixes
20 > > > out a bit quicker, with some semblence of a gurantee we're not
21 > > > tagging in stuff an admin isn't going to care about.
22 > >
23 > > What sort of bug fixes are you looking to get out quicker? While
24 > > the EAPI stuff drew out .53 a little longer than originally
25 > > expected it was still only 30 days from first rc to final (assuming
26 > > _rc7 is final). I can't really see the necessity for getting
27 > > non-regression fixes out "quicker". At the moment, a lot of fixes
28 > > go out all at once rather than in lots of small bumps. I doubt the
29 > > overall speed would change very much.
30 >
31 > Question is how will it scale for non-bugfixes, disruptive changes
32 > like cache backport, elog backporting, confcache, etc? What I'm
33 > concerned about is what's going to occur with .5x when large changes
34 > start sliding into it (or into a minor)- basically the territory
35 > we're wandering into right now with cache/exec refactoring for .54.
36
37 My 0.02 something:
38 Stick with the current mess for 2.0.x, if it turns out we really need
39 to push something out there are still options (like using a _p suffix
40 or a fourth component). Never make a 2.1.x release (this version is
41 "burned" already).
42 Why this even if it's a mess? People are used to it already, adding a
43 2.x with x>0 could be interpreted as "the next major version" with
44 use-depends and stuff, 2.1 is burned as stated above and currently it
45 seems to work.
46 Savior can and will reopen this discussion anyway.
47
48 Marius
49
50 PS: Didn't we just have this discussion some weeks ago?
55 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
56 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.