From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] release versioning meaning
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 23:10:10
1 On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 06:32:18PM +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 02:29:14 -0600
3 > > Question is how will it scale for non-bugfixes, disruptive changes
4 > > like cache backport, elog backporting, confcache, etc? What I'm
5 > > concerned about is what's going to occur with .5x when large changes
6 > > start sliding into it (or into a minor)- basically the territory
7 > > we're wandering into right now with cache/exec refactoring for .54.
8 >
9 > My 0.02 something:
10 > Stick with the current mess for 2.0.x, if it turns out we really need
11 > to push something out there are still options (like using a _p suffix
12 > or a fourth component). Never make a 2.1.x release (this version is
13 > "burned" already).
14
15 Expanding to a 4th component is just duplicating a minor field.
16
17 2.1 being out there is a fricking mess, but I'm not particularly game
18 to continue bad practices just because the portage versioning scheme
19 already has blown it's own foot off.
22 > Why this even if it's a mess? People are used to it already, adding a
23 > 2.x with x>0 could be interpreted as "the next major version" with
24 > use-depends and stuff, 2.1 is burned as stated above and currently it
25 > seems to work.
26
27 Use deps were never promised in 2.1 offhand. 2.1 stuff is being
28 backported; yes the 2.1 alpha that got shoved out there isn't ever
29 going to go stable (was dead 3 months prior to the release), but that
30 doesn't mean we can't just spread the features out as we go.
33 > Savior can and will reopen this discussion anyway.
34
35 Portage 3 will be sane versioning scheme, that's a given.
36 However, that's not a good reason to ignore the current problem.
37
38 We've already screwed with the versioning scheme to get away from
39 the previous bad setup, I'd prefer to finish it now rather then
40 wait N months and again screw with versioning.
41
42 The point of version components is to convey some extra meaning-
43 having people guessing at what it is doesn't help that in anyway,
44 hence any change of the components *should* be done once, and stuck
45 to.
46
47 I'd posit we're still in that timeframe for ironing out what versioning
48 scheme we'll use _longterm_, and implementing it now.
49 ~harring