From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] webapp-config and webapps
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:55:38
1 On Friday 29 October 2004 01:31, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2
3 > It's not possible to support non-privileged users running webapp-config
4 > with the default Apache 2 MPM, as these users can't perform the chown
5 > operations that the tool needs to do. We could provide a setuid-safe
6 > script to do this, but that's not top of my todo list.
7
8 Let's say how I would do this if I were an administrator for such a server.
9 Well I'd take the easy road of doing the following:
10 - Make a webpage that users/customers can select the desired webapps for their
11 virtual host, including the version. With a big-fat warning that
12 autoupdating by the app itself doesn't work.
13 - Have that webpage append to a pending-transformation list.
14 - Have a root cronjob that parses (strictly) the pending-transformation list
15 and runs webapp-config for eacht of those transformations. Then the pending
16 list is flushed.
17
18 As the administrator I now only need to select the offered apps, the rest is
19 left to the users.
20
21 > The problem with each web-based package providing its own package
22 > management is that you're left with widely varying quality. You also have
23 > the problem that it's harder to lock down a site and prevent unauthorised
24 > change. And these tools don't work too well on secured and/or disconnected
25 > intranets (and these are surprising common in the public sector at least).
26 > Tools that extend Portage - tools that allow for disconnected upgrades -
27 > still have their advantages :)
28
29 I still consider it bad design. Even though I understand the reasons.
30
31 Paul
34 Paul de Vrieze
35 Gentoo Developer