From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] webapp-config and webapps
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 10:17:43
1 On Friday 29 October 2004 10:55, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > Let's say how I would do this if I were an administrator for such a server.
3 > Well I'd take the easy road of doing the following:
4 > - Make a webpage that users/customers can select the desired webapps for
5 > their virtual host, including the version. With a big-fat warning that
6 > autoupdating by the app itself doesn't work.
7 > - Have that webpage append to a pending-transformation list.
8 > - Have a root cronjob that parses (strictly) the pending-transformation
9 > list and runs webapp-config for eacht of those transformations. Then the
10 > pending list is flushed.
11 >
12 > As the administrator I now only need to select the offered apps, the rest
13 > is left to the users.
14
15 /me nods. I want to make it possible for others to write that kind of app.
16 But you don't need webapp-config to be setuid to do that. All you need to do
17 is ensure that all files are owned by the user that apache runs as.
18
19 You can achieve that securely by using the experimental perchild MPM (which
20 will soon be available through Portage), or by running each site in its own
21 chroot environment.
22
23 > I still consider it bad design. Even though I understand the reasons.
24
25 Sorry - that statement's ambiguious. What's the "it" that you are refering
26 to?
27
28 Best regards,
29 Stu
30 --
31 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
32 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
33 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
34
35 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
36 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C
40 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list