From: "Patrick Börjesson" <psychotical@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Conflicting RDEPENDS
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 11:52:55
1 On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 10:12:43PM +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > Patrick Börjesson <psychotical@×××××××.com> posted
3 > 20090529201741.GB11660@×××××.nexus, excerpted below, on Fri, 29 May 2009
4 > 22:17:41 +0200:
5 >
6 > > Why exactly would you want to use --oneshot for a "leaf package" that is
7 > > not depended on by any other package in the world set? If spam IS
8 > > depended on by any other package (recursively) in the world set, it will
9 > > be pulled in by --complete-graph, but that's not the case here if i
10 > > understand it correctly, thus it's a package that you explicitly wanted
11 > > installed, thus it belongs in the world set, and you should thus not use
12 > > --oneshot for it.
13 >
14 > I use -1 by default, here (via scriptlet), mainly so I don't have to
15 > worry about cluttering up my world file while emerging individual
16 > packages, just as I always use -NuD with my @system and @world runs.
17 >
18 > But for leaf packages, it serves as a sort of test install as well.
19 > Since I always do revdep-rebuild -p and emerge --depclean -p after every
20 > update (typically 2-3 times a week), then rebuild and clean as I need to,
21 > keeping the "trial merges" on the depclean list for a few days keeps me
22 > aware of them. If I know it's something I want to keep, I run a
23 > different scriptlet without the -1, but that's not often once a system is
24 > up and running with the normal working set merged. Meanwhile, I
25 > ultimately either emerge -C (or let depclean handle it) the "trialware",
26 > or emerge --noreplace, thus adding it to world.
27 >
28 > But experimental installs and their deps typically sit in the --depclean
29 > list for anything from a few minutes to a few days, until I decide
30 > whether I want to keep or remove them.
31 >
32 > If he was testing how the switches under discussion here worked and has a
33 > similar policy, I could easily see him using -1 by habit, even if he
34 > didn't explicitly reason that it was a test and therefore something he
35 > didn't want in @world.
36
37 Indeed i can see the reason for using --oneshot for packages you possibly
38 only want installed for a limited time period, but as --complete-graph is
39 limited by definition to the world set, you can't expect emerge to
40 consider the dependencies of a leaf-package installed with --oneshot
41 (when using --complete-graph of "-D @world").
42
43 It's a weigh-off between having an easy time pruning your system and
44 having emerge calculate a "correct" dependency graph for your entire
45 system. As far as emerge is concerned, a leaf package installed with
46 --oneshot isn't reachable through the dependency graph, thus its
47 dependencies shouldn't be accounted for.