From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Conflicting RDEPENDS
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 22:13:07
1 Patrick Börjesson <psychotical@×××××××.com> posted
2 20090529201741.GB11660@×××××.nexus, excerpted below, on Fri, 29 May 2009
3 22:17:41 +0200:
4
5 > Why exactly would you want to use --oneshot for a "leaf package" that is
6 > not depended on by any other package in the world set? If spam IS
7 > depended on by any other package (recursively) in the world set, it will
8 > be pulled in by --complete-graph, but that's not the case here if i
9 > understand it correctly, thus it's a package that you explicitly wanted
10 > installed, thus it belongs in the world set, and you should thus not use
11 > --oneshot for it.
12
13 I use -1 by default, here (via scriptlet), mainly so I don't have to
14 worry about cluttering up my world file while emerging individual
15 packages, just as I always use -NuD with my @system and @world runs.
16
17 But for leaf packages, it serves as a sort of test install as well.
18 Since I always do revdep-rebuild -p and emerge --depclean -p after every
19 update (typically 2-3 times a week), then rebuild and clean as I need to,
20 keeping the "trial merges" on the depclean list for a few days keeps me
21 aware of them. If I know it's something I want to keep, I run a
22 different scriptlet without the -1, but that's not often once a system is
23 up and running with the normal working set merged. Meanwhile, I
24 ultimately either emerge -C (or let depclean handle it) the "trialware",
25 or emerge --noreplace, thus adding it to world.
26
27 But experimental installs and their deps typically sit in the --depclean
28 list for anything from a few minutes to a few days, until I decide
29 whether I want to keep or remove them.
30
31 If he was testing how the switches under discussion here worked and has a
32 similar policy, I could easily see him using -1 by habit, even if he
33 didn't explicitly reason that it was a test and therefore something he
34 didn't want in @world.
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman