From: "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Conflicting RDEPENDS
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 11:22:52
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Duncan wrote:
5 > Patrick Börjesson <psychotical@×××××××.com> posted
6 > 20090529201741.GB11660@×××××.nexus, excerpted below, on Fri, 29 May 2009
7 > 22:17:41 +0200:
8 >
9 >> Why exactly would you want to use --oneshot for a "leaf package" that is
10 >> not depended on by any other package in the world set? If spam IS
11 >> depended on by any other package (recursively) in the world set, it will
12 >> be pulled in by --complete-graph, but that's not the case here if i
13 >> understand it correctly, thus it's a package that you explicitly wanted
14 >> installed, thus it belongs in the world set, and you should thus not use
15 >> --oneshot for it.
16 >
17 > I use -1 by default, here (via scriptlet), mainly so I don't have to
18 > worry about cluttering up my world file while emerging individual
19 > packages, just as I always use -NuD with my @system and @world runs.
20 >
21 > But for leaf packages, it serves as a sort of test install as well.
22 > Since I always do revdep-rebuild -p and emerge --depclean -p after every
23 > update (typically 2-3 times a week), then rebuild and clean as I need to,
24 > keeping the "trial merges" on the depclean list for a few days keeps me
25 > aware of them. If I know it's something I want to keep, I run a
26 > different scriptlet without the -1, but that's not often once a system is
27 > up and running with the normal working set merged. Meanwhile, I
28 > ultimately either emerge -C (or let depclean handle it) the "trialware",
29 > or emerge --noreplace, thus adding it to world.
30 >
31 > But experimental installs and their deps typically sit in the --depclean
32 > list for anything from a few minutes to a few days, until I decide
33 > whether I want to keep or remove them.
34 >
35 > If he was testing how the switches under discussion here worked and has a
36 > similar policy, I could easily see him using -1 by habit, even if he
37 > didn't explicitly reason that it was a test and therefore something he
38 > didn't want in @world.
39
40 I think this is an interesting use-case. It would be very simple to handle it by
41 introducing an additional file that the package manager would use to record the
42 packages that are installed on trial-basis. This would make it possible to
43 include these packages in dep-calculations, while still distinguishing them from
44 packages that are in @world. Of course you can also fake it by creating a local
45 virtual/trialware package (or possibly a @trialware group) of which you edit the
46 deps, but this would be less convenient. For my personal workflow using -1 for
47 trials is working well enough, atm.
48
49 Marijn
50
51 - --
52 If you cannot read my mind, then listen to what I say.
53
54 Marijn Schouten (hkBst), Gentoo Lisp project, Gentoo ML
55 <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-{lisp,ml} on FreeNode