From: Edward Catmur <ed@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] has_version and built_with_use ignore package.provided
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 12:50:09
1 On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 12:37 +0100, Paul Bredbury wrote:
2 > > if built_with_use dev-util/subversion nowebdav; then
3 >
4 > So Portage needs an "end to USE flags whose first 2 characters are 'no'"
5 > day, in order to keep its complexity bearable. Which is already known,
6 > in the dev manual (whose URL I'm too lazy to look up right now).
7
8 Fair enough; no* USE flags are an abomination. They're going to be
9 around for a while yet, though.
10 How about sci-libs/scipy-0.4.9:
11
12 if built_with_use sci-libs/lapack-atlas ifc; then
13 echo
14 ewarn "${PN} needs consistency among Fortran compilers."
15 eerror "lapack-atlas was compiled with IFC, whereas"
16 eerror "blas-atlas and scipy use the GNU compiler."
17 eerror "please re-emerge lapack-atlas with 'USE=\"-ifc\"'."
18 echo
19 die "Inconsistent Fortran compilers"
20 fi
21
22 > > The big problem with the Russell definite designator is that
23 > > it is not self-dual under negation (and its dual under negation is not
24 > > useful); a trinary definite designator /is/ self-dual.
25 >
26 > That's useful info in a school exam. The flaw is, this is not a maths
27 > quiz set by a university professor (I went through all that at uni ~13
28 > years ago).
29 No; maths is a tool to make things clearer.
30 > It's a computer program. Run by people. Who expect it to
31 > make sense.
32 Does conflating two conditions to one output make sense?
33 > These people couldn't care less whether it's "self-dual under
34 > negation".
35 But they do expect that if "built_with_use app-foo/bar shiney" returns
36 FALSE, then app-foo/bar was built with the "shiney" USE flag unset. Not
37 that it wasn't built at all. Or that Portage has no idea how it was
38 built.
39 > What they care about is whether it gives the right
40 > answer, or the opposite of the right answer (or equally worse, falls
41 > over in a big heap)
42 Insufficient information is an error condition.
43 > when the right answer should be obvious to it (which
44 > is what my patches do, although this fact has so far been glossed over).
45 Paranoia much?
46 >
47 > The attractive elegance of logical dualism
48 I think you mean "duality".
49 > is *not* an excuse for
50 > programs falling over in a big heap when the correct answer in certain
51 > circumstances (bug #139693) is obvious.
52 And in other circumstances?
53
54 Ed
55
56 Sorry for the spam, all. I'll shut up now.
59 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list