From: Paul Bredbury <brebs@××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] has_version and built_with_use ignore package.provided
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 11:37:56
1 > if built_with_use dev-util/subversion nowebdav; then
2
3 So Portage needs an "end to USE flags whose first 2 characters are 'no'"
4 day, in order to keep its complexity bearable. Which is already known,
5 in the dev manual (whose URL I'm too lazy to look up right now).
6
7 > The big problem with the Russell definite designator is that
8 > it is not self-dual under negation (and its dual under negation is not
9 > useful); a trinary definite designator /is/ self-dual.
10
11 That's useful info in a school exam. The flaw is, this is not a maths
12 quiz set by a university professor (I went through all that at uni ~13
13 years ago). It's a computer program. Run by people. Who expect it to
14 make sense. These people couldn't care less whether it's "self-dual
15 under negation". What they care about is whether it gives the right
16 answer, or the opposite of the right answer (or equally worse, falls
17 over in a big heap) when the right answer should be obvious to it (which
18 is what my patches do, although this fact has so far been glossed over).
19
20 The attractive elegance of logical dualism is *not* an excuse for
21 programs falling over in a big heap when the correct answer in certain
22 circumstances (bug #139693) is obvious.
23 --
24 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list