From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Question about a blocker with portage-2.1.6
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 20:02:31
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Pacho Ramos wrote:
5 > Hello
6 >
7 > I am not sure if this is the proper place for asking this, if not,
8 > please let me know the proper one and sorry for the inconvenience
9
10 This list is fine.
11
12 > I am using portage-2.1.6, when I tried to update to testing gtk+ I
13 > needed to also update to:
14 > =x11-libs/gtk+-2.14.5*
15 > =dev-libs/glib-2.18.3*
16 > =gnome-base/gail-1000
17 >
18 > After adding these to package.keywords I executed emerge -avuDN world,
19 > but it failed because of gail <1000 blocking gtk+-2.14.5 installation.
20 > This was easily solved simply unmerging old version, but I would know
21 > why emerge was unable to unmerge it and merge new version automatically
22 > (I thought that new portage would do it, but seems that not in this
23 > case)
24 > gtk+-2.14.5.ebuild has the following:
25 > !<gnome-base/gail-1000"
26 > in RDEPEND
27 >
28 > and gail-1000 has:
29 > RDEPEND=">=x11-libs/gtk+-2.13.0"
30 >
31 > Thanks a lot for information
32
33 It seems like that blocker should have been solved automatically.
34 Can you reproduce it and post emerge output with the --debug option
35 enabled?
36
37 When a package is not uninstalled automatically, there are a number
38 of possible cases that can trigger it:
39
40 1) The package cannot be installed because it has been pulled in as
41 a dependency of a package or a package set such as system or world.
42
43 2) The package can be uninstalled, but due to a case of bug #1343
44 involving an || dependency, it has been pulled into the dependency
45 graph. This can be solved automatically if the package is masked in
46 package.mask.
47
48 3) The package needs to be uninstalled before a conflicting package
49 is installed, rather than after, due to a !!atom blocker (bug #250286).
50
51 4) The EAPI is 0 or 1 and the package conflicts with either a system
52 package or a direct runtime dependency of the running
53 sys-apps/portage instance. This case is handled similarly to case 3
54 above.
55
56 None of the above cases seem to apply to your gnome-base/gail
57 blocker, but --debug output might provide a clue. With
58 portage-2.1.6.1, the --debug output now includes a representation of
59 the digraph which makes it easier to recognize instances of case 1.
60 - --
61 Thanks,
62 Zac