From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: About "system" and "world"
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:20:09
1 On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 21:29:02 -0700
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > Ryan Hill wrote:
8 > > Zac Medico wrote:
9 > >> implement greedy atoms for the world set. I've been pondering the
10 > >> idea of making world non-greedy for slots by default [1], since you
11 > >> can add slot atoms to the world file to pull in any specific
12 > >> slot(s) that you want.
13 > >
14 > > That would rock. Portage always insisting on pulling in the highest
15 > > SLOT whether needed or not is one of my biggest pet-peeves.
16 >
17 > Well, you can already use SLOT atoms in your world file if you don't
18 > want the highest available. Packages that pull in >=foo are a
19 > different story though. I suppose we can add something like a
20 > - --upgrade=minimal option that prevents pulling in new slots if they
21 > aren't required.
22
23 Don't restrict it to SLOTs though. "minimal" implies that only upgrades
24 required to satisfy the depgraph are performed. The described
25 behavior should be another value, e.g. "no-slot-change".
26
27 Marius
32 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
33 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.