From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] naming scheme
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:00:49
1 Christian Hoenig wrote:
2 > Hi,
6 >>The release of Portage 2.0.51 could be a major news item.
9 > I don't know if this has been discussed elsewhere or if i missed another
10 > statement on this...
11 >
12 > Why is portage using such a strange naming scheme? Why are we only increasing
13 > ´build numbers´? As this seems to be a major release, why don´t we make a 2.1
14 > out of it?
15 > What are the plans considering the naming scheme?
16 >
17 > Too many ´Whys´?
18 >
19 > tell me :-)
20
21 I don't think this is a "major" release as in "major version" but more as in
22 "big deal". From what I've heard, a major version change will be reserved for a
23 complete rewrite of Portage.
26 Andrew Gaffney
27 Network Administrator
28 Skyline Aeronautics, LLC.