From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Dynamic USE dependencies
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 05:48:26
1 On 04/02/2015 09:32 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Out of curiosity, what is keeping us from having USE flag dependencies
3 > handled dynamically, in the same way that package dependencies are?
4 > If portage can figure out that I need libxml2 installed even if I
5 > don't put it in /var/lib/portage/world, why can't it figure out that I
6 > need it built with USE=icu even if I don't put that in
7 > /etc/portage/package.use?
8
9 It's already able to adjust USE automatically via autounmask support. We
10 can add support for for it to do this without the need to alter user
11 config files. We could cache the automatic USE settings somewhere, so
12 that commands like 'ebuild' would be able to build things with the
13 correct USE without having to process any dependencies.
14
15 > I was concerned that it might be more work in calculating the
16 > dependencies, but then I was thinking that portage probably already
17 > does all this work just to validate that the current configuration is
18 > still consistent.
19
20 Considering that autounmask is enabled by default, it's already doing
21 the work.
22 --
23 Thanks,
24 Zac