From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Dynamic USE dependencies
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 16:32:43
1 Out of curiosity, what is keeping us from having USE flag dependencies
2 handled dynamically, in the same way that package dependencies are?
3 If portage can figure out that I need libxml2 installed even if I
4 don't put it in /var/lib/portage/world, why can't it figure out that I
5 need it built with USE=icu even if I don't put that in
6 /etc/portage/package.use?
7
8 I was concerned that it might be more work in calculating the
9 dependencies, but then I was thinking that portage probably already
10 does all this work just to validate that the current configuration is
11 still consistent.
12
13 I fully appreciate that there could be USE blocks, just as there can
14 be package blocks, and that resolving these could require hints such
15 as adding some USE settings to config files, or doing oneshot installs
16 (perhaps the dynamic configuration would be set up to preserve
17 whatever is installed unless it conflicts - just as is done with
18 virtuals today).
21 Rich