From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] making aux_get more usable for vardbapi
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 18:21:25
1 On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 12:47:43AM +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 24 January 2006 23:52, Marius Mauch wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:08:00 -0800
4 > > Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o> wrote:
5 > > > Well, if you disagreed with the original response, continue the
6 > > > conversation prior to commiting- otherwise we see a commit, then a
7 > > > rebuttal a few hours later. Not really how things should go for a
8 > > > contested piece of code (at least when the only two to weigh in our
9 > > > flat out opposed on it)- especially if the code's effect is
10 > > > nontrivial and it hasn't had any actual peer review (only comment was
11 > > > on your algo).
12 > >
13 > > Interesting, you now count for two people? Or who is this second person
14 > > you're talking of? I still think you're making more out of this than it
15 > > really is. Also there really isn't a point in discussing a difference in
16 > > opinion IMO, such attempts lead nowhere. I considered your comment, but
17 > > couldn't come up with a reason why a theoretical issue should hold this
18 > > up.
19 >
20 > Even if Brian can't count,
21 Bah, you two can't count. :p
22
23 Marius and myself weighing on this == 2 people
24 Marius, you, myself commenting == 3 people
27 > a single (reasonable) voice should be enough to
28 > prevent moving forward. That single voice could have said everything that
29 > other possible responders were thinking of saying negating the need for
30 > further responses.
31 >
32 > So what's happening with this? As far as I understand it, there's a high
33 > probability of incorrect file generation. Should "vdbkeys" be pulled out of
34 > emaint's "modules" var until next release?
35
36 I don't really want to see the current form go out; my
37 suggestion/proposed course would be backing it out (literally,
38 revert), extend emaint so it loads checks on the fly (not horrid to
39 do), and distribute the check externally, at least for the interim.
40
41 Fixing up the check requires pulling filter-env back, which I'll be
42 doing this weekend. Not sure of peoples opionion on this one, but
43 filter-env *is* used in any ebd based portage, so I'd prefer it were
44 external- no point in having this check and bcportage bundling their
45 own copy of filter-env.
46
47 My two cents on it; the check's logic as I've stated is faulty, and
48 can match in unattended places due to lack of state which is
49 disconcerting, further disconcerting is the inability of the code to
50 properly grab value settings that are $'' with newlines embedded.
51
52 Roughly,
53
54 #!/bin/sh
55 eval $(bzcat environment.bz2 | filter-env -f '.*' -v 'BASH.*' )
56 for __x in "$@"; do
57 echo __x=$(echo "${__x}" | tr '\n,\r,\t' ' , , ')
58 done
59
60 is what's required.
61 ~harring