From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Deprecating 'emerge action' syntax
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:48:05
1 On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 08:50:55 +0900
2 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > So, I'm also moving toward just printing warnings for the time being.
5 > However, we should probably figure out exactly how it should work and
6 > then print warnings whenever any deprecated syntax is used. Not so
7 > much for users and scripts, of which I can't see there being much of
8 > a problem, but so that we can redo that whole bunch of code without
9 > having to do:
10 >
11 > if incorrect_syntax:
12 > print warning
13 > make correct syntax
14
15 There isn't really any code involved for "make correct syntax" as
16 myaction doesn't include the --, we just strip those from
17 "correct" actions, and I don't see a way to make a multi-purpose syntax
18 correction function without knowing future cases.
19 In the long we run we should probably replace the whole option parser
20 stuff with some standard code anyway (getopt or similar).
21
22 Marius
27 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
28 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.