From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Deprecating 'emerge action' syntax
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 23:52:11
1 On Friday 17 February 2006 05:30, solar wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 19:04 +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
3 >
4 > [snip]
5 >
6 > > > If by "deprecate" you mean to detect when '--' hasn't been prepended
7 > > > and either go ahead with the action or notify that the package
8 > > > doesn't exist then I have no objections. Might be better to go with
9 > > > the latter so that users adjust quickly.
10 > >
11 > > You saw the attached one-line patch?
12
13 Heh. Actually I completely missed it.
14
15 > > Atm it just throws a warning when an action without -- is used.
16 > > I'm divided on ignoring the action then, on one hand it would be nice to
17 > > get rid of this, OTOH it would be kinda rude to not have a transition
18 > > period for people. Anyone else having an opinion on this?
19 >
20 > I agree it would be kinda rude to just deprecate a behavior and
21 > introduce another all in one shot. I'd give it a few releases till
22 > people retrain themselves.
23 > Maybe when emerge --world/--system/--action has worked it's way into
24 > at least 2 stable releases before deprecating 'action'
25
26 This brings up an interesting point. "emerge --world" really should fail as
27 not being valid as it is not an action but a target. With the goal of having
28 targets user configurable, treating them as options really doesn't work.
29
30 So, I'm also moving toward just printing warnings for the time being.
31 However, we should probably figure out exactly how it should work and then
32 print warnings whenever any deprecated syntax is used. Not so much for users
33 and scripts, of which I can't see there being much of a problem, but so that
34 we can redo that whole bunch of code without having to do:
35
36 if incorrect_syntax:
37 print warning
38 make correct syntax