From: solar <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Deprecating 'emerge action' syntax
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 20:32:35
1 On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 19:04 +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4
5 > > If by "deprecate" you mean to detect when '--' hasn't been prepended
6 > > and either go ahead with the action or notify that the package
7 > > doesn't exist then I have no objections. Might be better to go with
8 > > the latter so that users adjust quickly.
9 >
10 > You saw the attached one-line patch?
11 > Atm it just throws a warning when an action without -- is used.
12 > I'm divided on ignoring the action then, on one hand it would be nice to
13 > get rid of this, OTOH it would be kinda rude to not have a transition
14 > period for people. Anyone else having an opinion on this?
17 Re opinion:
18
19 I agree it would be kinda rude to just deprecate a behavior and
20 introduce another all in one shot. I'd give it a few releases till
21 people retrain themselves.
22 Maybe when emerge --world/--system/--action has worked it's way into
23 at least 2 stable releases before deprecating 'action'
28 solar <solar@g.o>
29 Gentoo Linux
32 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list