From: Alpt <alpt@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] The merge of emerde with emerge
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 20:51:20
1 On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 07:22:56PM +0000, Luke-Jr after a spiritual call wrote :
2 ~> On Wednesday 01 December 2004 5:55 pm, Alpt wrote:
3 ~> > For those who don't know the story:
4 ~> > Emerde is born on Septmber 2003. It is a port of the portage for
5 ~> > slackware or generic distro. ( http://emerde.freaknet.org )
6 ~>
7 ~> This doesn't make sense to me... Portage is universal enough to work on any
8 ~> other common Linux system...
9
10 okey, install it in slackware then and use it. let me see please.
11
12 ~> > In the while I've added various handy features.
13 ~> > These are the additional features added in emerde:
14 ~> > tgz support: A tgzfile must be a Slackware pkg. Emerde will resolve the
15 ~> > tgz's dependences and will install it.
16 ~>
17 ~> Shouldn't be part of Portage. Portage handles ebuilds, not Slackware packages.
18
19 It is to let emerde live peacefull in Slackware.
20
21 ~> > pfile: Emerde will apply the specified action to all the packages listed
22 ~> > in the pfile
23 ~>
24 ~> emerge $(cat pfile)
25
26 emerde pfile pfile
27
28 ;)
29
30 ~> > invulnerable: Updates all the packages which have suid binaries.
31 ~>
32 ~> What is the purpose behind this? Some kind of bad idea to assume that suid
33 ~> packages are the only ones with security holes and updates are solely to fix
34 ~> them?
35
36 no, obviously it isn't vital but it is usefull in some cases.
37
38 ~> > maketgz: Emerde will build Slackware's tgz packages for all ebuilds
39 ~>
40 ~> A better idea would be to convert GRPs to Slackware tgz
41
42 Slackware compatibility dude.
43
44 ~> > skipit: Emerde allows you to skip to the next merge with the SIGINT signal
45 ~> > or by pressing CTRL+c.
46 ~>
47 ~> There's usually an order for a reason. Usually, when I press Ctrl-C, I want
48 ~> emerge to stop altogether.
49
50 Yep, but let's assume we are doing "emerde pfile pfile" or in your case
51 "emerde `pfile`". If you want to skip the current merging you have to
52 stop emerge, modify the pfile and again "emerde pfile pfile".
53 It isn't very pretty when you have a list of 50 pkgs and you are arrived
54 at 50% in the list and you are _not_ doing --update.
55
56 ~> > Compilation resume:
57 ~> > Emerde resumes an interrupted or aborted compilation without rebuild
58 ~> > the pkg and restart the compilation.
59 ~>
60 ~> Portage already does this for me.
61
62 no, if halt the compilation and the next time ./configure will be runned
63 so you'll start the compilation again.
64
65 ~> > LAN-sync: The syncing of the portage can be done using another machine that
66 ~> > had already done it. See ACTION:sync in the emerge(1) man page.
67 ~>
68 ~> See SYNC in /etc/make.conf.example
69
70 LAN-sync is: rsync -e mymachine:/usr/portage/ /usr/portage/
71 you can't do it right now...
72
73 ~> > --searchcontents:
74 ~> qpkg /path/to/file, no?
75
76 emerde -N /path/to/file, no?
77
78 ~> > buildworld: Rebuilds or updates the "world" file (/var/cache/edb/world)
79 ~>
80 ~> There's scripts to do this, though these will always be inaccurate hacks,
81 ~> since you cannot really rebuild the world file.
82
83 okey.
84
85 ~> > por2pkg: por2pkg converts entries in the portage's db to Slack's db
86 ~> > entries. pkg2por: pkg2por converts entries in the Slack's db to portage's
87 ~> > db entries. pordbcheck: Checks if the programs listed in the portage's db
88 ~> > are really installed.
89 ~>
90 ~> Doesn't belong in a package manager.
91
92 Slack compat.
93
94 ~> > initd-cfg: /etc/init.d editor.
95 ~>
96 ~> Doesn't belong in a package manager.
97
98 you are managing the init.d files of the packages installed with the
99 package manager
100
101 ~> Portage is already distro-independent... The only distros to have considered
102 ~> using it (Zynot and Utopios) both determined that it would be better to write
103 ~> a better package manager based on the ideas.
104
105 Install it in the other distro then. Did you considered for example
106 baselayout?
107
108 regards
109 --
110 :wq!
111 "I don't know nothing" The One Who reached the Thinking Matter '.'
112
113 [ Alpt --- Freaknet Medialab ]
114 [ GPG Key ID 441CF0EE ]
115 [ Key fingerprint = 8B02 26E8 831A 7BB9 81A9 5277 BFF8 037E 441C F0EE ]
118 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list