From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] The merge of emerde with emerge
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:22:22
1 On Wednesday 01 December 2004 5:55 pm, Alpt wrote:
2 > For those who don't know the story:
3 > Emerde is born on Septmber 2003. It is a port of the portage for
4 > slackware or generic distro. ( http://emerde.freaknet.org )
5
6 This doesn't make sense to me... Portage is universal enough to work on any
7 other common Linux system...
10 > In the while I've added various handy features.
11 > These are the additional features added in emerde:
12 > tgz support: A tgzfile must be a Slackware pkg. Emerde will resolve the
13 > tgz's dependences and will install it.
14
15 Shouldn't be part of Portage. Portage handles ebuilds, not Slackware packages.
16
17 > pfile: Emerde will apply the specified action to all the packages listed
18 > in the pfile
19
20 emerge $(cat pfile)
21
22 > invulnerable: Updates all the packages which have suid binaries.
23
24 What is the purpose behind this? Some kind of bad idea to assume that suid
25 packages are the only ones with security holes and updates are solely to fix
26 them?
27
28 > maketgz: Emerde will build Slackware's tgz packages for all ebuilds
29
30 A better idea would be to convert GRPs to Slackware tgz
31
32 > skipit: Emerde allows you to skip to the next merge with the SIGINT signal
33 > or by pressing CTRL+c.
34
35 There's usually an order for a reason. Usually, when I press Ctrl-C, I want
36 emerge to stop altogether.
37
38 > Compilation resume:
39 > Emerde resumes an interrupted or aborted compilation without rebuild
40 > the pkg and restart the compilation.
41
42 Portage already does this for me.
43
44 > LAN-sync: The syncing of the portage can be done using another machine that
45 > had already done it. See ACTION:sync in the emerge(1) man page.
46
47 See SYNC in /etc/make.conf.example
48
49 > --searchcontents:
50 > Emerde matches the search string against the contents field. The pkg's
51 > contents field contains a list of files and directories
52 > installed. This option is useful to know to what pkg a file or a directory
53 > belong. --showcontents: This option is the same as the --search one except
54 > that it shows all the contents file of the searched packages.
55
56 qpkg /path/to/file, no?
57
58 > buildworld: Rebuilds or updates the "world" file (/var/cache/edb/world)
59
60 There's scripts to do this, though these will always be inaccurate hacks,
61 since you cannot really rebuild the world file. Also note, it's
62 in /var/lib/portage/world now
63
64 > por2pkg: por2pkg converts entries in the portage's db to Slack's db
65 > entries. pkg2por: pkg2por converts entries in the Slack's db to portage's
66 > db entries. pordbcheck: Checks if the programs listed in the portage's db
67 > are really installed.
68
69 Doesn't belong in a package manager.
70
71 > initd-cfg: /etc/init.d editor.
72
73 Doesn't belong in a package manager.
76 > If I can jump in the coding with you, I can live in peace with emerde
77 > because all the changes will be already built in and in the near future
78 > emerde won't be needed anymore. The goal is to make the portage distro
79 > independent.
80
81 Portage is already distro-independent... The only distros to have considered
82 using it (Zynot and Utopios) both determined that it would be better to write
83 a better package manager based on the ideas.
84 OpenEmbedded modified Portage a bit, but needed too many features added to
85 stay compatible with ebuilds.
86 --
87 Luke-Jr
88 Developer, Utopios